Book your stay
Best price guaranteed!
Short Cut to your holiday booking!
Perfect Picnic spots with picnic tables to boot
Perhaps one of your enduring memories as a child was the excitement of car journeys going on holidays and finding a picnic spot for lunch. With such a wealth of stunning countryside in the Dordogne Valley you are spoilt for choice. Secluded places along the river and convenient stopping places for eating out on popular driving routes mean there is no shortage of places to stop. So take some time out for a driving break, relax and try some of the local delicacies.
The French are a nation of picnickers. And when in the Dordogne Valley, do as the locals do. Fill up your picnic hamper with local melon du Quercy, Rocamadour goats cheese, Croustilot bread, strawberries, cured ham and a nice bottle of wine!
Where to stop
- Alvignac: At the Samayou recreation area in Alvignac and also at the entrance of the village if coming from the direction of Rocamadour.
- Bretenoux: The Isle de la Bourgnatelle is a lovely picnic spot and also along the banks of the La Cère river.
- Calès: At a place called the Lac Vieux (old lake)
- Gramat: In the Garenne park (Avenue de la Garenne)
- Carennac: Facing the direction of the river with the side of the church behind you, by the water.
- Gluges: At the Zone de Loisirs, opposite the town of Gluges, on the other side of the bridge in the direction of Montvalent.
- Laval-de-Cère: At the water’s edge.
- Nadaillac-de-Rouge: At the fountain in the centre of the village.
- Martel: At the Place Fontanelle in the direction of Creysse.
- Mayrinhac-Lentour: At the Marais de Bonnefont (also with children’s playground).
- Miers : At the « Hameau des Barrières ».
- Meyronne: Behind the church of Meyronne (with children's swings and see-saw).
- Lake du Tolerme: At the lake, with barbecues available.
- Reilhaguet: Two areas. At the entrance and exit to and from the village.
- Rocamadour: At the Belveyre Stadium, next to the Forêt des Singes (Monkey park). You can also buy picnic hampers from La Borie d'Imbert farm 3 km from Rocamadour and eat it on the spot as they have picnic tables there in the shade.