1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Cover a baking tray with baking paper and place the butternut face down, then put three cloves of garlic under the cavity of each half. Bake for 30 minutes in the oven or until the flesh is tender (check with the tip of a knife, which should sink in easily).
3. Then peel the squash removing the skin, cut it into large cubes and set it aside with the garlic.
4. In a saucepan, brown the onion and ginger (grated) in the oil for about 10 minutes. Add the curry and sauté for a minute. Then add the butternut squash, garlic, stock and nutmeg. Plus salt & pepper.
5. Bring to a slow boil, then reduce the heat and simmer to reduce for about 15 minutes, half covered.
6. Then puree in a blender/mixer, put back in the pan and add the coconut milk (if you do not want to use coconut milk, add more stock to obtain your desired consistency).